This DIY all purpose cleaner recipe is great for cleaning most household surfaces – even mirrors.
It works very effectively on things such as soap scum, toilets, greasy countertops, floors, stoves, and taps. A huge bonus is that it is safe for the home with no harsh chemicals, and it is extremely cost effective at only a few cents to make. In addition to water, it requires only four ingredients that are likely already in your home.
- White vinegar – great for degreasing and decalcifying, and is also effective for cleaning mildew as well as being naturally antimicrobial
- Borax – otherwise known as sodium tetraborate which is a naturally occuring substance, Borax is great for cleaning windows and glass as well as cleaning mildew, tile grout, removing crayon marks, cleaning rust, and removing soap scum. Borax is also a very effective deodorizer
- Hydrogen peroxide – antimicrobial, antibacterial, and is excellent for cleaning mirrors, toilets, as well as mildew, mold, and soap scum
- Lemon juice – like vinegar, lemon juice is a great degreaser that also works as a great stain remover
***Note: do not use this cleaner on natural wood or stone surfaces as the acids in the vinegar and lemon juice may cause damage. Also, this cleaner is safe to use in the home, however as with any other cleaner do not ingest or store in an area that is exposed to pets or children***
I use this cleaner in my home in place of most cleaners I used before switching to homemade cleaning products. It works so well that I would never go back to harsh chemically based cleaners. It is also extremely cost effective, safe to use, and the good news is that I only have to carry around one bottle when cleaning, and there is only one bottle to store.
How to make all purpose household cleaner
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Spray bottle
- 3 cups hot water (water must be hot for the Borax to fully dissolve)
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp Borax
- 2 tbsp hydrogen peroxide
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (or the juice of one lemon)
- optional: 8-10 drops of essential oil (I like to use 5 drops of wild black spruce oil, and 5 drops of bergamot essential oils)
Heat water, pour in mixing bowl. Add Borax and whisk until the Borax is dissolved. Add remaining ingredients. When mixture is completely cooled, use funnel and pour into spray bottle. If using essential oils, make sure to shake the bottle of cleaner before using to ensure even distribution of the oils.